I share so many wonderful memories with my Mema. I remember playing at her house when I was little, using sheets to create a beach in her living room. I always remember her using a real tea kettle on the stove, and I still think of her every time I see one. I remember the many wonderful Christmas Eves and the absurdity that is our load of presents. Although I don't remember the last time we had gravy at Christmas (despite how many time Papa might have asked- or any of us since), she has never failed to deliver with some delicious cookies! (She also makes some pretty awesome lemon bars.) So many of my memories at Mema's were in the summer time when my cousin, Gabi, would come visit from California and my sister and I would go with her to Mema's for a week. I remember swimming at the house down the street and loving their awesome slide! Every summer Mema would let us get something new to add to our collection of Barbies at her house and we would play for hours on end. Of course, after spending two full weeks together non-stop, the three of us girls sometimes had our moments where we didn't get along. One summer, Gabi and I got in a fight at Mema's house. We were playing in the back bedroom. I have no idea what we were fighting about (probably something ridiculously stupid), but I pushed Gabi off the bed. On her way to the ground, she got caught on the lamp cord and completely ripped the socket out the wall...not just pulled the plug out of the socket, the entire socket sparked as it came out of the wall! In hindsight, we're lucky we didn't start a house fire. Mema heard the loud crash and came running to the bedroom, but when she got there Gabi and I were both just laughing hyterically. Given our behavior and the ultimate damage, she had every right to be angry and yell, but she didn't...she just joined in our laughter and it is still something she teases us about- the time we almost burned the house down. That's just the way Mema is...she showed us love and understanding even when it probably wasn't deserved.
I also admire her zest for life and unwillingness to let age stop her from living her life to the fullest and doing the things she's always wanted to do, including traveling all around the world and doing all the things she's always dreamed about. I hope I still have the same enthusiasm at her age!
Happy Birthday Mema, I love you!!

No comments:
Post a Comment